Murdered women’s children: A social emergency and gloomy reality
1Institute of Pediatrics, Catholic University Medical School, Rome, Italy
2 Service of Pediatrics, Campus Bio-Medico University, Rome, Italy
3 Department of Clinical and Experimental Medicine, University of Foggia, Foggia, Italy
4 Institute of Pediatrics, University of Palermo, Palermo, Italy
DOI: 10.22514/SV141.052018.12 Vol.14,Issue 1,March 2018 pp.71-74
Published: 27 March 2018
Femicide, defined as the killing of females by males because they are females, is be-coming recognized worldwide as an im-portant ongoing manifestation of gender inequality. Actual or imminent separation, abuser’s access to firearms, prior threats with a weapon, prior threats to kill the victim, a stepchild in the household, prob-lematic alcohol and illicit drug use, as well as mental health problems, are associated with a substantially higher risk of femi-cide. Little is known about the number of orphaned children who have instantane-ously lost both parents. Sparse attention has been focused on children whose moth-er was murdered: these are difficult cases for child psychiatry teams. Decisions about protection could be made by judges, the police, social workers or officers that at-tend victims, on the basis of empirical data and not merely by using intuitive criteria.
child, emergency, femicide
PIETRO FERRARA,FRANCESCA IANNIELLO,LORENZO SEMERARO,GIULIA FRANCESCHINI,LUCIA LO SCALZO,IDA GIARDINO,GIOVANNI CORSELLO. Murdered women’s children: A social emergency and gloomy reality. Signa Vitae. 2018. 14(1);71-74.
1. Stöckl H, Devries K, Rotstein A, Abrahams N, Campbell J, Watts C, et al. The global prevalence of intimate partner homicide: a sys-tematic review. Lancet 2013;382(9895):859-65.
2. The Statistics Portal [Online] 2016 [cited 2017 Jul 10]; Available from:URL: https://www.statista.com/statistics/614300/total-num-ber-of-murders-italy/
3. Vives-Cases C, Goicolea I, Hernández A, Sanz-Barbero B, Gill AK, Baldry AC, et al. Expert Opinions on Improving Femicide Data Collection across Europe: A Concept Mapping Study. Plos-One 2016 Apr 14;11(4).
4. Lucio L. La strage delle donne: 116 femminicidi dall'inizio dell'anno. [Online]. 2016 [cited 2017 Jul 10]; Available from:URL: http://www.repubblica.it/cronaca/2016/11/24/news/la_strage_delle_donne_116_femminicidi_dall_inizio_dell_anno_-152674911/.
5. Campbell JC, Webster D, Koziol-McLain J, Block C, Campbell D, Curry MA, et al. Risk factors for femicide in abusive relationships: results from a multisite case control study. Am J Public Health 2003;93(7):1089–97.
6. Koziol-McLain J, Webster D, McFarlane J, Block CR, Ulrich Y, Glass N, et al. Risk factors for femicide-suicide in abusive relation-ships: results from a multisite case control study. Violence Vict 2006;21(1):3–21.
7. Moracco KE, Runyan CW, Butts JD. Female intimate partner homicide: a population-based study. J Am Med Womens Assoc 2003;58(1):20–5.
8. Campbell JC, Glass N, Sharps PW, Laughon K, Bloom T. Intimate partner homicide: review and implications of research and policy. Trauma Violence Abuse 2007;8(3):246-69.
9. Black D, Harris-Hendriks J, Kaplan T. Father kills mother: post-traumatic stress disorder in the children. Psychother Psychosom 1992;57(4):152-7.
10. Associazione D.i.re (Donne in rete contro la violenza) and University of Naples. ”Switch-off: orfani speciali dei femminicidi”from 2001 to 2016 [Online] 2016 [cited 2017 Jul 10]; Available from: URL: https://www.direcontrolaviolenza.it/wp-content/uploads/2017/04/
11. EURES Ricerche economiche e sociali”. “Caratteristiche dinamiche e profili di rischio del femminicidio in Italia. Le tendenze 2015/2016” [Online] 2017 [cited 2017 Jul 10]; Available from: https://www.eures.it/
12. EURES, “ Banca dati sugli omicidi dolosi in Italia nel 2015” [Online] 2016 [cited 2017 Jul 10]; Available from: https://www.eures.it/
13. Ferrara P, Caporale O, Cutrona C, Sbordone A, Amato M, Spina G, et al. Femicide and murdered women's children: which future for these children orphans of a living parent? Ital J Pediatr 2015 Sep 29;41:68.
14. Bonanni E, Maiese A, Gitto L, Falco P, Maiese A, Bolino G. Femicide in Italy: National scenario and presentation of four cases. Med Leg J 2014;82(1):32–7.
15. Council of Europe. Full list: Chart of signatures and ratifications of Treaty 210" [Online] 2014 [cited 2017 Jul 10]; Available from:URL: https://www.coe.int/en/web/conventions/full-list/-/conventions/treaty/210/signatures.
16. Weil S. Failed Femicides among Migrant Survivors, Qualitative Sociology Review 2016; 12(4):6-21.
17. Weil S. “Femicide across Europe” Femicide: Taking Action against Gender-Related Killing of Women and Girls 2015 [Online]; 4:118-121.
18. Bailey JE, Kellermann AL, Somes GW, Banton JG, Rivara FP, Rushforth NP. Risk factors for violent death of women in the home. Arch Intern Med 1997;157(7):777–82.
19. Suffla S, Van Niekerk A, Arendse N. Female homicidal strangulation in urban South Africa. BMC Public Health 2008;8:363.
20. Fantuzzo J, Lindquist C. The effects of observing conjugal violence on children: a review and analysis of research methodology. J Fam Violence 1989;4:77–94.
21. Egeland B, Jacobvitz D, Stroufe A. Breaking the cycle of abuse. Child Dev 1988;59(4):1080–8.
22. Burman S, Allen-Meares P. Neglected victims of murder: children's witness to parental homicide. Soc Work 1994;39(1):28–34.
23. Black D, Kaplan T. Father kills mother. Issues and problems encountered by a child psychiatric team. Br J Psychiatry 1988;153:624–30.
24. Ferrara P, Ianniello F, Cutrona C, Quintarelli F, Vena F, Del Volgo V, et al. A focus on recent cases of suicides among Italian children and adolescents and a review of literature. Ital J Pediatr 2014 Jul 15;40(1):69.
25. Ferrara P, Romani L, Bottaro G, Ianniello F, Fabrizio GC, Chiaretti A, et al. The physical and mental health of children in foster care. Iran J Public Health 2013 Apr;42(4):368-73.
26. Ferrara P, Vena F, Caporale O, Del Volgo V, Liberatore P, Chiaretti A, et al. Children left unattended in parked vehicles: a focus on recent italian cases and a review of literature. Ital J Pediatr 2013 Nov 6;39(1):71.
27. Garcovich S, Gatto A, Ferrara P, Garcovich A. Vulvar pyoderma gangrenosum in a child: a case report. Pediatr Dermatol 2009 Sep-Oct;26(5):629-31.
28. Ferrara P, Corsello G, Sbordone A, Nigri L, Ehrich J, Pettoello-Mantovani M. Foster Care: A Fragile Reality Needing Social Attention, and Economic Investments. J Pediatr 2016;173:270-1.
29. Ferrara P, Corsello G, Basile MC, Nigri L, Campanozzi A, Ehrich J, et al. The economic burden of child maltreatment in high income countries. J Pediatr 2015;167(6):1457-9.
30. Corsello G, Ferrara P, Chiamenti G, Nigri L, Campanozzi A, Pettoello-Mantovani M. The child health care system in Italy. J Pediatr 2016 Oct;177S:S116-26.
Science Citation Index Expanded (SciSearch) Created as SCI in 1964, Science Citation Index Expanded now indexes over 9,200 of the world’s most impactful journals across 178 scientific disciplines. More than 53 million records and 1.18 billion cited references date back from 1900 to present.
Journal Citation Reports/Science Edition Journal Citation Reports/Science Edition aims to evaluate a journal’s value from multiple perspectives including the journal impact factor, descriptive data about a journal’s open access content as well as contributing authors, and provide readers a transparent and publisher-neutral data & statistics information about the journal.
Chemical Abstracts Service Source Index The CAS Source Index (CASSI) Search Tool is an online resource that can quickly identify or confirm journal titles and abbreviations for publications indexed by CAS since 1907, including serial and non-serial scientific and technical publications.
IndexCopernicus The Index Copernicus International (ICI) Journals database’s is an international indexation database of scientific journals. It covered international scientific journals which divided into general information, contents of individual issues, detailed bibliography (references) sections for every publication, as well as full texts of publications in the form of attached files (optional). For now, there are more than 58,000 scientific journals registered at ICI.
Geneva Foundation for Medical Education and Research The Geneva Foundation for Medical Education and Research (GFMER) is a non-profit organization established in 2002 and it works in close collaboration with the World Health Organization (WHO). The overall objectives of the Foundation are to promote and develop health education and research programs.
Scopus: CiteScore 0.5(2021) Scopus is Elsevier's abstract and citation database launched in 2004. Scopus covers nearly 36,377 titles (22,794 active titles and 13,583 Inactive titles) from approximately 11,678 publishers, of which 34,346 are peer-reviewed journals in top-level subject fields: life sciences, social sciences, physical sciences and health sciences.
Embase Embase (often styled EMBASE for Excerpta Medica dataBASE), produced by Elsevier, is a biomedical and pharmacological database of published literature designed to support information managers and pharmacovigilance in complying with the regulatory requirements of a licensed drug.