Acute pediatric cerebellitis and mutism. Case report and review of the literature
1,Department of Pediatrics Catholic University Medical School of Rome
2Unit of Pediatric Neurology, Catholic University Medical School of Rome
DOI: 10.22514/SV62.102011.11 Vol.6,Issue 2,October 2011 pp.78-81
Published: 31 October 2011
Acute cerebellitis (AC) is a rare syndrome characterized by an inflammatory involvement of the cerebellum which can com-plicate infections or vaccinations. AC can be a life-threatening condition, presenting with speech disorders including long-lasting mutism, usually followed by dysarthria. Clinical examination, laboratory findings and Magnetic Resonance Imaging are essential for establishing an early diagnosis and initiating prompt and adequate treatment, thereby reducing morbidity and mortality. We report a case of a child with AC complicated by mutism and we present a review of the literature of pediatric cases with this condition.
cerebellitis, mutism, dysarthria, childhood
CLAUDIA FANTACCI ,TGIULIA BERSANI,PIERO VALENTINI,FILOMENA PIERRI,PAOLO MARIOTTTI,DANIELE SERRANTI,ANTONIO CHIARETTI . Acute pediatric cerebellitis and mutism. Case report and review of the literature. Signa Vitae. 2011. 6(2);78-81.
1. Sawaishi Y, Takada G. Acute cerebellitis. Cerebellum 2002;1:223-8.
2. Riva D. the cerebellar contribution to language and sequential functions: evidence from a child with cerebellitis. Cortex 1998;34:279-87.
3. Kubota T, Suzuki T, Kitase Y, Kidokoro H, Miyajima Y, Ogawa A, Natsume J, Okumura A. Chronological diffusion-weighted imaging changes and mutism in the course of rotavirus-associated acute cerebellitis/cerebellopathy concurrent with encephalitis/encephalopathy. Brain Dev 2011;33:21-7.
4. De Bruecker Y, Claus F, Demaerel P, Ballaux F, Sciot R, Lagae L, Buyse G, Wilms G. MRI findings in acute cerebellitis. Eur Radiol 2004;14:781-3.
5. Levy EI, Harris AE, Omalu BI, Hamilton RL, Branstetter BF 4th, Pollack IF. Sudden death from fulminant acute cerebellitis. Pediatr Neurosurg 2001;35:24-8.
6. San Pedro EC, Mountz JM, Liu HG, Deutsch G. Postinfectious cerebellitis: clinical significance of Tc-99m HMPAO brain SPECT compared with MRI. Clin Nucl Med 1998;23:212-6.
7. Papavasiliou AS, Kotsalis C, Trakadas S. Transient cerebellar mutism in the course of acute cerebellitis. Pediatr Neurol 2004;30:71-4.
8. Shiihara T, Watanabe M, Honma A, Kato M, Morita Y, Ichiyama T, Maruyama K. Rotavirus associated acute encephalitis/encephalopathy and concurrent cerebellitis: report of two cases. Brain Dev 2007;29:670-3.
9. Dimova PS, Bojinova VS, Milanov IG. Transient mutism and pathologic laughter in the course of cerebellitis. Pediatr Neurol 2009;41:49-52.
10. Takanashi J, Miyamoto T, Ando N, Kubota T, Oka M, Kato Z, Hamano S, Hirabayashi S, Kikuchi M, Barkovich AJ. Clinical and radiological features of rotavirus cerebellitis. Am J Neuroradiol 2010;31:1591-5.
Science Citation Index Expanded (SciSearch) Created as SCI in 1964, Science Citation Index Expanded now indexes over 9,200 of the world’s most impactful journals across 178 scientific disciplines. More than 53 million records and 1.18 billion cited references date back from 1900 to present.
Journal Citation Reports/Science Edition Journal Citation Reports/Science Edition aims to evaluate a journal’s value from multiple perspectives including the journal impact factor, descriptive data about a journal’s open access content as well as contributing authors, and provide readers a transparent and publisher-neutral data & statistics information about the journal.
Chemical Abstracts Service Source Index The CAS Source Index (CASSI) Search Tool is an online resource that can quickly identify or confirm journal titles and abbreviations for publications indexed by CAS since 1907, including serial and non-serial scientific and technical publications.
IndexCopernicus The Index Copernicus International (ICI) Journals database’s is an international indexation database of scientific journals. It covered international scientific journals which divided into general information, contents of individual issues, detailed bibliography (references) sections for every publication, as well as full texts of publications in the form of attached files (optional). For now, there are more than 58,000 scientific journals registered at ICI.
Geneva Foundation for Medical Education and Research The Geneva Foundation for Medical Education and Research (GFMER) is a non-profit organization established in 2002 and it works in close collaboration with the World Health Organization (WHO). The overall objectives of the Foundation are to promote and develop health education and research programs.
Scopus: CiteScore 0.5(2019) Scopus is Elsevier's abstract and citation database launched in 2004. Scopus covers nearly 36,377 titles (22,794 active titles and 13,583 Inactive titles) from approximately 11,678 publishers, of which 34,346 are peer-reviewed journals in top-level subject fields: life sciences, social sciences, physical sciences and health sciences.
Embase Embase (often styled EMBASE for Excerpta Medica dataBASE), produced by Elsevier, is a biomedical and pharmacological database of published literature designed to support information managers and pharmacovigilance in complying with the regulatory requirements of a licensed drug.