Liver abscess caused by Actinomyces odontolyticus, Abiotrophia species, Haemophilus parainfluenzae, Streptococcus anginosus i Streptococcus intermedius - case report
1Department of Internal Medicine, University Hospital Merkur, Zagreb, Croatia
2Centre Hospitalier de l’Ouest Vosgien, Pole mére-enfant, Neufchâteau, France
3Department of Internal Medicine, University Hospital Dubrava, Zagreb, Croatia
4Department of Anaesthesiology, Reanimation and Intensive Care, General Hospital Dubrovnik, Croatia
5Department of Anaesthesiology, Reanimation and Intensive Care, University Hospital Merkur, Zagreb, Croatia
DOI: 10.22514/SV101.062015.21 Vol.10,Issue S1,June 2015 pp.72-73
Published: 22 June 2015
*Corresponding Author(s): GORDANA CAVRIĆ E-mail: email@example.com
We present a case of a 78-year-old female patient who was admitted to the medical intensive care unit because of high fever, weakness and abdominal pain. Bacterio-logical studies showed sepsis and allowed the isolation of Actinomyces odontolyti-cus and Abiotrophia species as causative agents. Further investigation led to a diag-nosis of liver abscess from which there was also isolated Haemophilus parainfluenzae, Streptococcus intermedius and Strepto-coccus anginosus, as well as the above mentioned bacteria. All named microor-ganisms represent a part of normal oro-pharyngeal flora and may cause abscesses or sepsis under certain circumstances. As far as we know, liver abscess due to Abio-trophia species was never reported.
Actinomyces odontolyticus, Abi-otrophia species, Haemophilus parainfluen-zae, Streptococcus intermedius, Streptococ-cus anginosus, sepsis, liver abscess
GORDANA CAVRIĆ,KHALED NASABAIN,KLARA JURIĆ,INGRID PRKAČIN,DUBRAVKA BARTOLEK HAMP,MATEA BOGDANOVIĆ DVORŠČAK. Liver abscess caused by Actinomyces odontolyticus, Abiotrophia species, Haemophilus parainfluenzae, Streptococcus anginosus i Streptococcus intermedius - case report. Signa Vitae. 2015. 10(S1);72-73.
1. Uehara Y, Takahashi T, Yagoshi M et al. Liver abscess of Actinomyces israelii in a hemodialysis patient: case report and review of the literature. Inter Med 2010; 49: 2017- 2020.
2. Senn L, Entenza JM, Greub G et al. Bloodstream and endovascular infections due to Abiotrophia defectiva and Granulicatella spe-cies. BMC Infect Dis 2006; 6: 9.
3. Friedl J, Stift A, Berlakovich GA et al. Haemophilus parainfluenzae liver abscess after successful liver transplantation. J Clin Mi-crobiol 1998; 818- 819.
4. Stratton CW. Infections due to the Streptococcus anginosus (Streptococcus milleri) group.[last updated March 24, 2015., cited May 09, 2015.]. Available from: http://www.uptodate.com/contents/infections-due-to-the-streptococcus-anginosus-streptococcus-milleri group?source=search_result&search=streptococcus+anginosus&selectedTitle=1~18.
5. Okulitz JF. Actinomycosis. [updated September 25, 2015., cited May 09, 2015.]. Available from: http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/211587-overview.
6. Alekh K, Dazley J, Sison R, Slim J, Boghossian J. A rare case of Actinomyces israelii bacteriemia. JMM Case Reports 2014; doi 10.1099jmmcr.0.000158.
7. Wong Kee Song LM, Marcon NE. Abdominal actinomycosis. [last updated: July 15, 2014., cited May 09, 2015.]. Available from: http://www.uptodate.com/contents/abdominal-actinomycosis?source=search_result&search=abdominal+actinomycosis&selecte dTitle=1~1.
8. Medical Disability Advisor. Actinomycosis. [cited May 09, 2015.].Available from: http://www.mdguidelines.com/actinomycosis.
9. Uehara K, Chikuda H, Higurashi Y etal. Pyogenic discitis due to Abiotrophia adiacens. Int J Surg Case Rep 2013; 4: 1107- 1109.
10. Gensheimer WG, Reddy SY, Mulconry M, Greves C. Abiotrophia/Granulicatellatubo- ovarian abscess in an adolescent virginal female. J Pediatr Adolesc Gynecol 2010; 23: e9- 12.
Vol., Issue , Invalid dateTable of contents
Science Citation Index Expanded (SciSearch) Created as SCI in 1964, Science Citation Index Expanded now indexes over 9,200 of the world’s most impactful journals across 178 scientific disciplines. More than 53 million records and 1.18 billion cited references date back from 1900 to present.
Journal Citation Reports/Science Edition Journal Citation Reports/Science Edition aims to evaluate a journal’s value from multiple perspectives including the journal impact factor, descriptive data about a journal’s open access content as well as contributing authors, and provide readers a transparent and publisher-neutral data & statistics information about the journal.
Chemical Abstracts Service Source Index The CAS Source Index (CASSI) Search Tool is an online resource that can quickly identify or confirm journal titles and abbreviations for publications indexed by CAS since 1907, including serial and non-serial scientific and technical publications.
Index Copernicus The Index Copernicus International (ICI) Journals database’s is an international indexation database of scientific journals. It covered international scientific journals which divided into general information, contents of individual issues, detailed bibliography (references) sections for every publication, as well as full texts of publications in the form of attached files (optional). For now, there are more than 58,000 scientific journals registered at ICI.
Geneva Foundation for Medical Education and Research The Geneva Foundation for Medical Education and Research (GFMER) is a non-profit organization established in 2002 and it works in close collaboration with the World Health Organization (WHO). The overall objectives of the Foundation are to promote and develop health education and research programs.
Scopus: CiteScore 0.5(2021) Scopus is Elsevier's abstract and citation database launched in 2004. Scopus covers nearly 36,377 titles (22,794 active titles and 13,583 Inactive titles) from approximately 11,678 publishers, of which 34,346 are peer-reviewed journals in top-level subject fields: life sciences, social sciences, physical sciences and health sciences.
Embase Embase (often styled EMBASE for Excerpta Medica dataBASE), produced by Elsevier, is a biomedical and pharmacological database of published literature designed to support information managers and pharmacovigilance in complying with the regulatory requirements of a licensed drug.