Intrapartal uterine avulsion with posterior cervical rupture
1University Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Clinical Hospital “Sveti Duh”, Zagreb
DOI: 10.22514/SV111.052016.16 Vol.11,Issue 1,May 2016 pp.222-229
Published: 02 May 2016
In this case study we describe an obstetric emergency of complete intrapartum left-lateral uterine avulsion, with posterior cervical rupture in a 31-year-old secundipara, following vacuum extraction. To the best of our knowledge, a similar case has not been previously reported in the literature. A live macrosomic male neonate was delivered by two tractions, with lateral episiotomy, and with shoulder dystocia that was relieved by McRoberts’ and Resnik’s maneuvers (Apgar score 7.8, birth weight/length 4640/57).
In our patient, the risk factors for avulsion and concomitant posterior cervical rupture included prolonged second stage of labor, delivering a macrosomic neonate in a secundipara with deflexion (parietal) in a cephalic presentation along the distended and thinned posterior uterine wall. Urgent total hysterectomy was performed in dramatical circumstances due to complete unilateral avulsion and cervical rupture, with continuous aortal compression, volume replacement and intact coagulation, which certainly contributed to the good final maternal outcome.
delivery, uterine avulsion, uterine rupture
DUBRAVKO HABEK,TATJANA PAVELIĆ TURUDIĆ,IVAN ŠKLEBARĆ. Intrapartal uterine avulsion with posterior cervical rupture. Signa Vitae. 2016. 11(1);222-229.
1. Ortiz-Mendoza CM, Fernandez Carreno AJ. Uterine avulsion by blunt abdomino-pelvic trauma. Cir Cir 2004;72:499-502.
2. Smith RJ. Avulsion of the nongravid uterus due to pelvic fracture. South Med J 1989;89:70-3.
3. Benijts G, Amy JJ, de Roose J. Traumatic avulsion of the pregnant uterus. Eur J Obstet Gynecol Reprod Biol 1975;5:305-6.
4. Crisp WE, Warrenburg CB, Bowlin B. Intrapartum avulsion of the round ligament. Am J Obstet Gynecol 1962;84:241-3.
5. Fu HC, Ko SF, Ou CY, Hsu TY. Postpartum hemoperitoneum due to avulsion of pelvic uterine adhesion band. South Med J 2006;99:1300-1.
6. Petrović D, Habek D, Vuković Bobić M, Vlahović I. Intrapartal posterior cervicoisthmic uterine rupture : case report. Central Europ J Med 2008;3:374-6.
7. Habek D, Vuković Bobić M, Hrgović Z. Possible feto-maternal clinical risk of the Kristeller’s expression. Cent Eur J Med 2008;3:183.-6.
8. Preschany S, Petzold K, Klostermann K, Stepan H. Intrapartal uterine rupture during vacuum extraction. Arch Gynecol Obstet 2010;282 (Suppl 1):S211.
9. Miller DA, Goodwin TM, Gherman RB, Paul RH. Intrapartum rupture of the nonscarred uterus. Obstet Gynecol 1997;89:671-3.
10. O’Leary JL, O’Leary JA. Manual avulsion of the postpartum uterus, tube and ovary. Obstet Gynecol 1963;22:782-4.
Science Citation Index Expanded (SciSearch) Created as SCI in 1964, Science Citation Index Expanded now indexes over 9,200 of the world’s most impactful journals across 178 scientific disciplines. More than 53 million records and 1.18 billion cited references date back from 1900 to present.
Journal Citation Reports/Science Edition Journal Citation Reports/Science Edition aims to evaluate a journal’s value from multiple perspectives including the journal impact factor, descriptive data about a journal’s open access content as well as contributing authors, and provide readers a transparent and publisher-neutral data & statistics information about the journal.
Chemical Abstracts Service Source Index The CAS Source Index (CASSI) Search Tool is an online resource that can quickly identify or confirm journal titles and abbreviations for publications indexed by CAS since 1907, including serial and non-serial scientific and technical publications.
Index Copernicus The Index Copernicus International (ICI) Journals database’s is an international indexation database of scientific journals. It covered international scientific journals which divided into general information, contents of individual issues, detailed bibliography (references) sections for every publication, as well as full texts of publications in the form of attached files (optional). For now, there are more than 58,000 scientific journals registered at ICI.
Geneva Foundation for Medical Education and Research The Geneva Foundation for Medical Education and Research (GFMER) is a non-profit organization established in 2002 and it works in close collaboration with the World Health Organization (WHO). The overall objectives of the Foundation are to promote and develop health education and research programs.
Scopus: CiteScore 0.5(2021) Scopus is Elsevier's abstract and citation database launched in 2004. Scopus covers nearly 36,377 titles (22,794 active titles and 13,583 Inactive titles) from approximately 11,678 publishers, of which 34,346 are peer-reviewed journals in top-level subject fields: life sciences, social sciences, physical sciences and health sciences.
Embase Embase (often styled EMBASE for Excerpta Medica dataBASE), produced by Elsevier, is a biomedical and pharmacological database of published literature designed to support information managers and pharmacovigilance in complying with the regulatory requirements of a licensed drug.