A rare consequence of trauma: Chylothorax
1Bulent Ecevit University, Faculty of Medicine, Department of Emergency Medicine, 67600 Zonguldak, Turkey
DOI: 10.22514/SV151.042019.11 Vol.15,Issue 1,April 2019 pp.75-76
Published: 23 April 2019
Chylothorax is defined as the lymphatic fluid accumulation in the pleural space due to the obstruction or injuries in the ductus thoracicus. The incidence of chylothorax due to blunt and penetrating traumas is low at a rate of 0.2-3%. This case presenta-tion intends to evoke chylothorax as a rare cause of pleural effusion due to injuries. A 27-day-old infant was brought to the emergency department with the complaint of a sudden respiratory distress developing after falling off the couch. The respiratory rate was 62, the pulse rate was 174, and the oxygen saturation rate was 68%. In the physical examination, the respiratory sounds were diminished bilaterally. The patient was intubated. As the saturation levels did not improve after intubation, a needle aspiration was performed bilater-ally in the anterior axillary line with a pre-diagnosis of massive haemothorax. A yel-lowish fluid was aspirated from the pleural space bilaterally. Chest tubes were inserted bilaterally to treat respiratory distress due to mass effect of chylothorax. Massive chy-lothorax cases may result in serious com-plications leading to respiratory distress and cardiac dysfunction. An early diagno-sis and appropriate treatment can be life-saving in these patients.
chylothorax, trauma, pleural ef-fusion
HILAL HOCAGIL,ABDULLAH CÜNEYT HOCAGIL,GÜLESER AKPINAR. A rare consequence of trauma: Chylothorax. Signa Vitae. 2019. 15(1);75-76.
1. Rajdev K, Avula A, Sharma D, Mansour W, Agarwal S, Siddiqui AH, et al. A case of transudative chylothorax: a diagnostic dilemma. Cureus 2018;10(2): e2247.
2. Miller JI. Anatomy of the thoracic duct and chylothorax. In Shields of TW locicero J Po RB, Rusch VW, editors. General Thoracic Surgery. 6th ed. Philadelphia: Lippincott Williams and Wilkins 2005.p. 879-88.
3. Pillay TG, Singh B. A review of traumatic chylothorax. Injury 2016;47:545-50.
4. Idris K, Sebastian M, Hefny AF, Khan NH, Abu-Zidan FM. Blunt traumatic tension chylothorax: case report and mini-review of the literatüre World J Clin Cases 2016;4:380-4.
5. Van Rijn RR, Spevak MR. Imaging of neonatal child abuse with an emphasis on abusive head trauma.Magn Reson Imaging. Clin N Am 2011;19:791-812.
6. Kara B, Biçer Ü, Gökalp AS. Child abuse. Review. Journal of Child Health and Diseases 2004;47:140-51.
7. Maldonado F, Hawkins FJ, Daniels CE, Doerr CH, Decker PA, Ryu JH. Pleural fluid characteristics of chylothorax. Mayo Clin Proc 2009;84:129.
8. Maldonado F, Cartin-Ceba R, Hawkins FJ, Ryu JH. Medical and surgical management. Am J Med Sci 2010;339:314.
9. Sendama W, Shipley M. Traumatic chylothorax: A case report and review. Respir Med Case Rep 2015;14:47–8.
Science Citation Index Expanded (SciSearch) Created as SCI in 1964, Science Citation Index Expanded now indexes over 9,200 of the world’s most impactful journals across 178 scientific disciplines. More than 53 million records and 1.18 billion cited references date back from 1900 to present.
Journal Citation Reports/Science Edition Journal Citation Reports/Science Edition aims to evaluate a journal’s value from multiple perspectives including the journal impact factor, descriptive data about a journal’s open access content as well as contributing authors, and provide readers a transparent and publisher-neutral data & statistics information about the journal.
Chemical Abstracts Service Source Index The CAS Source Index (CASSI) Search Tool is an online resource that can quickly identify or confirm journal titles and abbreviations for publications indexed by CAS since 1907, including serial and non-serial scientific and technical publications.
IndexCopernicus The Index Copernicus International (ICI) Journals database’s is an international indexation database of scientific journals. It covered international scientific journals which divided into general information, contents of individual issues, detailed bibliography (references) sections for every publication, as well as full texts of publications in the form of attached files (optional). For now, there are more than 58,000 scientific journals registered at ICI.
Geneva Foundation for Medical Education and Research The Geneva Foundation for Medical Education and Research (GFMER) is a non-profit organization established in 2002 and it works in close collaboration with the World Health Organization (WHO). The overall objectives of the Foundation are to promote and develop health education and research programs.
Scopus Scopus is Elsevier's abstract and citation database launched in 2004. Scopus covers nearly 36,377 titles (22,794 active titles and 13,583 Inactive titles) from approximately 11,678 publishers, of which 34,346 are peer-reviewed journals in top-level subject fields: life sciences, social sciences, physical sciences and health sciences.
Embase Embase (often styled EMBASE for Excerpta Medica dataBASE), produced by Elsevier, is a biomedical and pharmacological database of published literature designed to support information managers and pharmacovigilance in complying with the regulatory requirements of a licensed drug.