Hemodynamic changes in infective endocarditis
1,Intensive Care Unit Hospital for Infectious Diseases School of Medicine
DOI: 10.22514/SV31.022008.8 Vol.3,Issue S1,February 2008 pp.37-40
Published: 01 February 2008
Hemodynamic disturbances in patients with infective endocarditis (IE) are complex and might be consequences of various pathogenic processes. Congestive heart failure (CHF) is a major contributor of hemodynamic derangements, but since IE is often a septic disease, reversible myocardial dysfunction as well as septic shock might sometimes dominate or repre-sent additional contributing factors of disturbed hemodynamics. The major cause of CHF is malfunction of affected valves. It occurs with an incidence of 32 % and is often severe. This is why CHF is the most important risk factor associated with poor patient outcome. Results of the project 'International Collaboration on Endocarditis’ related to the characteristics of CHF in patients with IE are presented.
infective endocarditis, congestive heart failure, sepsis, Sta-phylococcus aureus
BRUNO BARŠIĆ. Hemodynamic changes in infective endocarditis. Signa Vitae. 2008. 3(S1);37-40.
1. Hoen B, Alla F, Selton-Suty C, Béguinot I, Bouvet A, Briançon S, et al, editors. Association pour l’Etude et la Prévention de l’Endocardite Infectieuse (AEPEI) Study Group. Changing profile of infective endocarditis: results of a 1-year survey in France. JAMA 2002;288:75-81.
2. Delahaye F, Goulet V, Lacassin F, Ecochard R, Selton-Suty C, Hoen B, et al, editors. Characteristics of infective endocarditis in France in 1991. A 1-year survey. Eur Heart J 1995;16:394-401.
3. Fefer P, Raveh D, Rudensky B, Schlesinger Y, Yinnon AM. Changing epidemiology of infective endocarditis: a retrospective survey of 108 cases, 1990-1999. Eur J Clin Microbiol Infect Dis 2002;21:432-7.
4. Fowler VG Jr, Miro JM, Hoen B, Cabell CH, Abrutyn E, Rubinstein E, et al, editors. Staphylococcus aureus endocarditis: a consequence of medical progress. JAMA 2005;293:3012-21.
5. Sexton DJ, Spelman D. Current best practices and guidelines: assessment and management of complications in infective endocarditis. Cardiol Clin 2003;21:273–282.
6. Karth G, Koreny M, Binder T, Knapp S, Zauner C, Valentin A, Honninger R, et al, editors. Complicated infective endocarditis necessitating ICU admission: clinical course and prognosis. Crit Care 2002;6:149-154.
7. Mourvillier B, Trouillet JL, Timsit JF, Baudot J, Chastre J, Régnier B, et al, editors. Infective endocarditis in the intensive care unit: clinical spectrum and prognostic factors in 228 consecutive patients. Intensive Care Med 2004;30:2046-52.
Science Citation Index Expanded (SciSearch) Created as SCI in 1964, Science Citation Index Expanded now indexes over 9,200 of the world’s most impactful journals across 178 scientific disciplines. More than 53 million records and 1.18 billion cited references date back from 1900 to present.
Journal Citation Reports/Science Edition Journal Citation Reports/Science Edition aims to evaluate a journal’s value from multiple perspectives including the journal impact factor, descriptive data about a journal’s open access content as well as contributing authors, and provide readers a transparent and publisher-neutral data & statistics information about the journal.
Chemical Abstracts Service Source Index The CAS Source Index (CASSI) Search Tool is an online resource that can quickly identify or confirm journal titles and abbreviations for publications indexed by CAS since 1907, including serial and non-serial scientific and technical publications.
IndexCopernicus The Index Copernicus International (ICI) Journals database’s is an international indexation database of scientific journals. It covered international scientific journals which divided into general information, contents of individual issues, detailed bibliography (references) sections for every publication, as well as full texts of publications in the form of attached files (optional). For now, there are more than 58,000 scientific journals registered at ICI.
Geneva Foundation for Medical Education and Research The Geneva Foundation for Medical Education and Research (GFMER) is a non-profit organization established in 2002 and it works in close collaboration with the World Health Organization (WHO). The overall objectives of the Foundation are to promote and develop health education and research programs.
Scopus: CiteScore 0.5(2021) Scopus is Elsevier's abstract and citation database launched in 2004. Scopus covers nearly 36,377 titles (22,794 active titles and 13,583 Inactive titles) from approximately 11,678 publishers, of which 34,346 are peer-reviewed journals in top-level subject fields: life sciences, social sciences, physical sciences and health sciences.
Embase Embase (often styled EMBASE for Excerpta Medica dataBASE), produced by Elsevier, is a biomedical and pharmacological database of published literature designed to support information managers and pharmacovigilance in complying with the regulatory requirements of a licensed drug.