Acute mesenteric ischemia due to superior mesenteric artery embolism in a patient with permanent atrial fibrillation
1Department of Gastroenterology and Hepatology Split University Hospital Centre
2Department of Cardiology Split University Hospital Centre
3Department of Radiology Split University Hospital Centre
DOI: 10.22514/SV51.042010.6 Vol.5,Issue 1,April 2010 pp.40-43
Published: 27 April 2010
Acute mesenteric ischemia (AMI) is an uncommon disorder with a high mortality rate. Reduction in mortality requires a high index of suspicion and prompt diagnosis. We describe a case of AMI in a 59-year old man with a history of permanent atrial fibrillation. Pathogenesis of AMI, clinical implications, diagnostic and therapeutic options are discussed.
thromboembolism, supe-rior mesenteric artery, diagnosis, mesenteric angiography
MIROSLAV ŠIMUNIĆ,DAMIR FABIJANIĆ,NIKOLA PERKOVIĆ,ZORAN BOGDANOVIĆ,MARINA MARAS-ŠIMUNIĆ,TONĆI BATINIĆ,ANTE TONKIĆ. Acute mesenteric ischemia due to superior mesenteric artery embolism in a patient with permanent atrial fibrillation. Signa Vitae. 2010. 5(1);40-43.
1. Basavanagowdappa H, Babu S, Kumar P, Nanaiah MM, Jeevan HR. Superior mesentric artery embolism. J Assoc Physicians India 2008;56:907-9.
2. Barakate MS, Cappe I, Curtin A, Engel KD, Li-Kim-Moy J, Poon MS, et al. Management of acute superior mesenteric artery occlusion. ANZ J Surg 2002;72:25-9.
3. Stoddard MF. Risk of thromboembolism in acute atrial fibrillation or atrial flutter. Echocardiography 2000;17:393-405.
4. Fabijanic D, Giunio L, Vujicic M, Vukovic I, Ermacora R, Knezevic N. Right atrial pacemaker lead thrombosis incidentally detected by tran-sesophageal echocardiography. Coll Antropol 2005;29:161-3.
5. Singer DE, Albers GW, Dalen JE, Fang MC, Go AS, Halperin JL, et al. Antithrombotic therapy in atrial fibrillation: American College of Chest Physicians Evidence-Based Clinical Practice Guidelines (8th Edition). Chest 2008;133:546S-592S.
6. Kozuch PL, Brandt LJ. Review article: diagnosis and management of mesenteric ischaemia with an emphasis on pharmacotherapy. Ali-ment Pharmacol Ther 2005;21:201-15.
7. Türkbey B, Akpinar E, Cil B, Karçaaltincaba M, Akhan O. Utility of multidetector CT in an emergency setting in acute mesenteric ischemia. Diagn Interv Radiol 2009;15:256-61.
8. Shih MC, Angle JF, Leung DA, Cherry KJ, Harthun NL, Matsumoto AH, et al. CTA and MRA in mesenteric ischemia: part 2, Normal findings and complications after surgical and endovascular treatment. AJR Am J Roentgenol 2007;188:462-71.
9. Turmezei TD, Cockburn JF. Digital subtraction angiography of the superior mesenteric artery: identifying arterial branches. Clin Anat 2009;22:777-9.
10. Acosta S, Sonesson B, Resch T. Endovascular therapeutic approaches for acute superior mesenteric artery occlusion. Cardiovasc Inter-vent Radiol 2009;32:896-905.
Science Citation Index Expanded (SciSearch) The Science Citation Index (SCI) is a citation index originally produced by the Institute for Scientific Information (ISI) and created by Eugene Garfield. It (Science Citation Index Expanded) covers more than 8,500 notable and significant journals, across 150 disciplines in science and technology, from 1900 to the present.
Journal Citation Reports/Science Edition Journal Citation Reports/Science Edition aims to evaluate a journal’s value from multiple perspectives including the journal impact factor, descriptive data about a journal’s open access content as well as contributing authors, and provide readers a transparent and publisher-neutral data & statistics information about the journal.
Chemical Abstracts Service Source Index The CAS Source Index (CASSI) Search Tool is an online resource that can quickly identify or confirm journal titles and abbreviations for publications indexed by CAS since 1907, including serial and non-serial scientific and technical publications.
IndexCopernicus The Index Copernicus International (ICI) Journals database’s is an international indexation database of scientific journals. It covered international scientific journals which divided into general information, contents of individual issues, detailed bibliography (references) sections for every publication, as well as full texts of publications in the form of attached files (optional). For now, there are more than 58,000 scientific journals registered at ICI.
Geneva Foundation for Medical Education and Research The Geneva Foundation for Medical Education and Research (GFMER) is a non-profit organization established in 2002 and it works in close collaboration with the World Health Organization (WHO). The overall objectives of the Foundation are to promote and develop health education and research programs.
Scopus Scopus is Elsevier's abstract and citation database launched in 2004. Scopus covers nearly 36,377 titles (22,794 active titles and 13,583 Inactive titles) from approximately 11,678 publishers, of which 34,346 are peer-reviewed journals in top-level subject fields: life sciences, social sciences, physical sciences and health sciences.
Embase Embase (often styled EMBASE for Excerpta Medica dataBASE), produced by Elsevier, is a biomedical and pharmacological database of published literature designed to support information managers and pharmacovigilance in complying with the regulatory requirements of a licensed drug.