Refractory ventricular fibrillation with prolonged resuscitation in dialysis-sensitive dysrhythmic patient
1Department of Traumatology Medical University of Graz
2Department of Anaesthesiology and Intensive Care Medicine Medical University of Graz
DOI: 10.22514/SV51.042010.7 Vol.5,Issue 1,April 2010 pp.44-46
Published: 27 April 2010
Sudden cardiac death is a leading cause of death in chronic renal failure patients. We present a case of refractory ventricular fibrillation with successful prolonged resuscitation (> 1 hour) without neurological sequel in an outpatient dialysis centre. Implantation of a cardioverter-defibrillator is able to identify patients as dialysis-sensitive. Smoother potassium removal during hemodialysis could eliminate dysrhythmias. Prehospital (point-of-care) blood gas analysis can be helpful especially in prolonged resuscitation.
successful resuscitation, ventricular fibrillation, point-of-ca-re, blood gas analysis, potassium, hemodialysis, ICD
PAUL PUCHWEIN,SYLVIA ARCHAN,GERNOT WILDNER,RAINER GUMPERT ,WILFRIED HARTWAGNER. Refractory ventricular fibrillation with prolonged resuscitation in dialysis-sensitive dysrhythmic patient . Signa Vitae. 2010. 5(1);44-46.
01. Lafrance JP, Nolin L, Senécal L, Leblanc M. Predictors and outcome of cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR) calls in a large hemodialysis unit over a seven year period. Nephrol Dial Transplant 2006 Apr;21(4):1006-12.
02. Ostermann M. Cardiac arrests in hemodialysis patients: An ongoing challenge. Kidney Int 2008 Apr;73(8):907-8.
03. Davis TR, Young BA, Eisenberg MS, Rea TD, Copass MK, Cobb LA. Outcome of cardiac arrests attended by emergency medical services staff at community outpatient dialysis centers. Kidney Int 2008 Apr;73(8):933-9.
04. Bozbas H, Atar I, Yildirir A, Ozgul A, Uyar M, Ozdemir N, et al. Prevalence and predictors of arrhythmia in end stage renal disease patients on hemodialysis. Ren Fail 2007;29(3):331-9.
05. Voiculescu M, Ionescu C, Ismail G. Frequency and prognostic significance of QT prolongation in chronic renal failure patients. Rom J Intern Med 2006;44(4):407-17.
06. Herzog CA, Li S, Weinhandl ED, Strief JW, Collins AJ, Gilbertson DT. Survival of dialysis patients after cardiac arrest and the impact of implantable cardioverter defibrillators. Kidney Int 2005 Aug;68(2):818-25.
07. Robin J, Weinberg K, Tiongson J, Carnethon M, Reddy M, Ciaccio C, et al. Renal dialysis as a risk factor for appropriate therapies and mortality in implantable cardioverter-defibrillator recipients. Heart Rhythm 2006 Oct;3(10):1196-201.
08. Sakhuja R, Keebler M, Lai TS, McLaughlin Gavin C, Thakur R, Bhatt DL. Meta-analysis of mortality in dialysis patients with an implantable cardioverter defibrillator. Am J Cardiol 2009 Mar 1;103(5):735-41.
09. Santoro A, Mancini E, London G, Mercadal L, Fessy H, Perrone B, et al. Patients with complex arrhythmias during and after hemodialysis suffer from different regimens of potassium removal. Nephrol Dial Transplant 2008 Apr;23(4):1415-21.
Science Citation Index Expanded (SciSearch) The Science Citation Index (SCI) is a citation index originally produced by the Institute for Scientific Information (ISI) and created by Eugene Garfield. It (Science Citation Index Expanded) covers more than 8,500 notable and significant journals, across 150 disciplines in science and technology, from 1900 to the present.
Journal Citation Reports/Science Edition Journal Citation Reports/Science Edition aims to evaluate a journal’s value from multiple perspectives including the journal impact factor, descriptive data about a journal’s open access content as well as contributing authors, and provide readers a transparent and publisher-neutral data & statistics information about the journal.
Chemical Abstracts Service Source Index The CAS Source Index (CASSI) Search Tool is an online resource that can quickly identify or confirm journal titles and abbreviations for publications indexed by CAS since 1907, including serial and non-serial scientific and technical publications.
IndexCopernicus The Index Copernicus International (ICI) Journals database’s is an international indexation database of scientific journals. It covered international scientific journals which divided into general information, contents of individual issues, detailed bibliography (references) sections for every publication, as well as full texts of publications in the form of attached files (optional). For now, there are more than 58,000 scientific journals registered at ICI.
Geneva Foundation for Medical Education and Research The Geneva Foundation for Medical Education and Research (GFMER) is a non-profit organization established in 2002 and it works in close collaboration with the World Health Organization (WHO). The overall objectives of the Foundation are to promote and develop health education and research programs.
Scopus Scopus is Elsevier's abstract and citation database launched in 2004. Scopus covers nearly 36,377 titles (22,794 active titles and 13,583 Inactive titles) from approximately 11,678 publishers, of which 34,346 are peer-reviewed journals in top-level subject fields: life sciences, social sciences, physical sciences and health sciences.
Embase Embase (often styled EMBASE for Excerpta Medica dataBASE), produced by Elsevier, is a biomedical and pharmacological database of published literature designed to support information managers and pharmacovigilance in complying with the regulatory requirements of a licensed drug.