Usage of central venous catheter for delayed traumatic pneumothorax
1,Department of Urology Kaohsiung Medical University Kaohsiung
DOI: 10.22514/SV61.042011.7 Vol.6,Issue 1,May 2011 pp.41-43
Published: 02 May 2011
Pneumothorax, whether spontaneous, iatrogenic or traumatic, frequently requires drainage, especially in the face of positive pressure ventilation or general anesthesia. The traditional approach with large-bore, rigid chest tube is associated with significant pain and various complications. Recently, less invasive modalities such as pigtail catheter or fine-needle aspira-tion have been used in selected patients. We report a case of delay-onset pneumothorax after trauma and the patient was treated successfully with the easily available central venous catheter for drainage.
thoracic injury, delayed traumatic pneumothorax, central venous catheter, thoracotomy
JIUN-HUNG GENG,WEI-CHE LEE,HSING-LIN LIN. Usage of central venous catheter for delayed traumatic pneumothorax. Signa Vitae. 2011. 6(1);41-43.
1. Shorr RM, Crittenden M, Indeck M, Hartunian SL, Rodriguez A. Blunt thoracic trauma. Analysis of 515 patients. Ann Surg Aug 1987;206(2):200-5.
2. Zinck SE, Primack SL. Radiographic and CT findings in blunt chest trauma. J Thorac Imaging Apr 2000;15(2):87-96.
3. Tekinbas C, Eroglu A, Kurkcuoglu IC, Turkyilmaz A, Yekeler E, Karaoglanoglu N. [Chest trauma: analysis of 592 cases]. Ulus Travma Acil Cerrahi Derg Oct 2003;9(4):275-80.
4. Farooq U, Raza W, Zia N, Hanif M, Khan MM. Classification and management of chest trauma. J Coll Physicians Surg Pak Feb 2006;16(2):101-3.
5. Ball CG, Kirkpatrick AW, Laupland KB, Fox DI, Nicolaou S, Anderson IB, et al. Incidence, risk factors, and outcomes for occult pneumotho-races in victims of major trauma. J Trauma Oct 2005;59(4):917-24.
6. Lu MS, Huang YK, Liu YH, Liu HP, Kao CL. Delayed pneumothorax complicating minor rib fracture after chest trauma. Am J Emerg Med Jun 2008;26(5):551-4.
7. Misthos P, Kakaris S, Sepsas E, Athanassiadi K, Skottis I . A prospective analysis of occult pneumothorax, delayed pneumothorax and delayed hemothorax after minor blunt thoracic trauma. Eur J Cardiothorac Surg May 2004;25(5):859-64.
8. Wakai A, O’Sullivan RG, McCabe G. Simple aspiration versus intercostal tube drainage for primary spontaneous pneumothorax in adults. Cochrane Database Syst Rev 2007(1):CD004479.
9. Zehtabchi S, Rios CL. Management of emergency department patients with primary spontaneous pneumothorax: needle aspiration or tube thoracostomy? Ann Emerg Med Jan 2008;51(1):91-101.
10. Ishibashi H, Ohta S, Hirose M. Modified central venous catheter for pneumothorax. Gen Thorac Cardiovasc Surg Jun 2008;56(6):309-10.
11. Marshall MB. Modified central line for pneumothorax. Ann Thorac Surg Oct 2006;82(4):1543-4.
12. Seldinger SI. Catheter replacement of the needle in percutaneous arteriography; a new technique. Acta radiol May 1953;39(5):368-76.
13. Deneuville M. Morbidity of percutaneous tube thoracostomy in trauma patients. Eur J Cardiothorac Surg Nov 2002;22(5):673-8.
Science Citation Index Expanded (SciSearch) Created as SCI in 1964, Science Citation Index Expanded now indexes over 9,200 of the world’s most impactful journals across 178 scientific disciplines. More than 53 million records and 1.18 billion cited references date back from 1900 to present.
Journal Citation Reports/Science Edition Journal Citation Reports/Science Edition aims to evaluate a journal’s value from multiple perspectives including the journal impact factor, descriptive data about a journal’s open access content as well as contributing authors, and provide readers a transparent and publisher-neutral data & statistics information about the journal.
Chemical Abstracts Service Source Index The CAS Source Index (CASSI) Search Tool is an online resource that can quickly identify or confirm journal titles and abbreviations for publications indexed by CAS since 1907, including serial and non-serial scientific and technical publications.
IndexCopernicus The Index Copernicus International (ICI) Journals database’s is an international indexation database of scientific journals. It covered international scientific journals which divided into general information, contents of individual issues, detailed bibliography (references) sections for every publication, as well as full texts of publications in the form of attached files (optional). For now, there are more than 58,000 scientific journals registered at ICI.
Geneva Foundation for Medical Education and Research The Geneva Foundation for Medical Education and Research (GFMER) is a non-profit organization established in 2002 and it works in close collaboration with the World Health Organization (WHO). The overall objectives of the Foundation are to promote and develop health education and research programs.
Scopus: CiteScore 0.5(2019) Scopus is Elsevier's abstract and citation database launched in 2004. Scopus covers nearly 36,377 titles (22,794 active titles and 13,583 Inactive titles) from approximately 11,678 publishers, of which 34,346 are peer-reviewed journals in top-level subject fields: life sciences, social sciences, physical sciences and health sciences.
Embase Embase (often styled EMBASE for Excerpta Medica dataBASE), produced by Elsevier, is a biomedical and pharmacological database of published literature designed to support information managers and pharmacovigilance in complying with the regulatory requirements of a licensed drug.