Transient, unilateral, complete, oculomotor palsy in an adult patient with idiopathic intracranial hypertension
1,Department of Neurology Cedar Valley Medical Specialists
2,Department of Neurology Covenant Hospital
DOI: 10.22514/SV61.042011.8 Vol.6,Issue 1,May 2011 pp.44-46
Published: 02 May 2011
Idiopathic intracranial hypertension (IIH) is a well recognized condition of elevated intracranial pressure of unknown cause. Many etiologies have been proposed, but few- besides a high body mass index, hypervitaminosis A, steroid withdrawal, exposure to tetracyclines and female gender- have been proven. The main morbidity in this condition is visual loss and is often reversed if recognized early and treated promptly with weight- reduction, a low-sodium diet and acetazolamide.
idiopathic intracranial hypertension, oculomotor palsy, headache, adult
IVO BEKAVAC,SANGEETA GOEL. Transient, unilateral, complete, oculomotor palsy in an adult patient with idiopathic intracranial hypertension. Signa Vitae. 2011. 6(1);44-46.
1. Wall M. Idiopathic intracranial hypertension (pseudotumor cerebri). Curr Neurol Neurosci Rep 2008 Mar;8(2):87-93.
2. Digre KB, Corbett JJ. Pseudotumor cerebri in men. Arch Neurol 1988;45:866-72.
3. Ireland B, Corbett J, Wallace RB. The search for causes of idiopathic intracranial hypertension. A preliminary case-control study. Arch Neurol 1990;47:315-20.
4. Giuseffi V, Wall M, Siegel PZ, Rojas PB. Symptoms and disease associations in idiopathic intracranial hypertension (pseudotumor cerebri): a case-control study. Neurology 1991;41:239-44.
5. Wall M, Weisberg LA. Treatment of pseudotumor cerebri. In: Johnson RT, ed. Current Therapy in Neurologic Disease. Philadelphia: BC Decker; 1984. p. 226-30.
6. Durcan FJ, Corbett JJ, Wall M. The incidence of pseudotumor cerebri. Population studies in Iowa and Louisiana. Arch Neurol 1988;45:875-7.
7. Balcer LJ, Liu GT, Forman S, Pun K, Volpe NJ, Galetta SL, et al. Idiopathic intracranial hypertension: relation of age and obesity in children. Neurology 1999;52:870-2.
8. Harrison CL, Ferrier N, Young AH. Tolerability of high-dose venflaxine in depressed patients. J Psychopharmacol 2004 Jun;18(2):200-4.
9. Wall M, Dollar JD, Sadun AA, Kardon R. Idiopathic intracranial hypertension: Lack of histological evidence for cerebral edema. Arch Neurol 1995;52:141-5.
10. Sadun AA, Currie JN, Lessell S. Transient visual obscurations with elevated optic discs. Ann Neurol 1984:16:489-94.
11. Bulens C, Meerwaldt JD, Koudstaal PJ, van der Wildt GJ. Spacial contrast sensitivity in benign intracranial hypertension. J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry 1988;51:1323-9.
12. Corbett JJ. The 1982 Silverside lecture. Problems in the diagnosis and treatmentof pseudotumor cerebri. Can J Neurol Sci 1983;10:221-9.
13. Rush JA. Pseudotumor cerebri: clinical profile and visual outcome in 63 patients. Mayo Clin Proc 1980;55:541-6.
14. Meador KJ, Swift TR. Tinnitus from intracranial hypertension. 1984;34:1258-61.
15. Sismanis A. Otologic manifestations of benign intracranial hypertension syndrome: diagnosis and management. Laryngoscope 1987;97(Suppl42)1-17.
16. Wall M, White WN II. Asymmetric papilledema in idiopathic intracranial hypertension: prospective interocular comparison of sensory visual function. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 1998;39:134-42.
17. Wall M, George D. Idiopathic intracranial hypertension. A prospective study of 50 patients. Brain 1991;114:155-80.
18. Thapa R, Mukherjee S. Transient bilateral oculomotor palsy in pseudotumor cerebri. J Child Neurol 2008 May;23(5):580-1.
19. Chansoria M, Agrawal A, Ganghoriya P, Raghu Raman B. Pseudotumor cerebri with transient oculomotor palsy. Indian J Pediatr 2005 Dec;72(12):1047-8.
20. Bruce BB, Newman NJ, Biousse V. Ophthalmoparesis in idiopathic intracranial hypertension. Am J Ophthalmol 2006 Nov;142(5):878-80.
21. McCammon A, Kaufman HH, Sears ES. Transient oculomotor paralysis in pseudotumor cerebri. Neurology 1981 Feb;31(2):182-4.
22. Zagardo MT, Cail WS, Kelman SE, Rothman MI. Reversible empty sella in idiopathic intracranial hypertension: an indicator of successful therapy? AJNR 1996 Nov-Dec;17(10):1953-6.
23. Lim MJ, Pushparajah K, Jan W, Calver D, Lin JP. Magnetic resonance imaging changes in idiopathic intracranial in children. J Child Neurol 2010 Mar;25(3):294-9.
Science Citation Index Expanded (SciSearch) Created as SCI in 1964, Science Citation Index Expanded now indexes over 9,200 of the world’s most impactful journals across 178 scientific disciplines. More than 53 million records and 1.18 billion cited references date back from 1900 to present.
Journal Citation Reports/Science Edition Journal Citation Reports/Science Edition aims to evaluate a journal’s value from multiple perspectives including the journal impact factor, descriptive data about a journal’s open access content as well as contributing authors, and provide readers a transparent and publisher-neutral data & statistics information about the journal.
Chemical Abstracts Service Source Index The CAS Source Index (CASSI) Search Tool is an online resource that can quickly identify or confirm journal titles and abbreviations for publications indexed by CAS since 1907, including serial and non-serial scientific and technical publications.
IndexCopernicus The Index Copernicus International (ICI) Journals database’s is an international indexation database of scientific journals. It covered international scientific journals which divided into general information, contents of individual issues, detailed bibliography (references) sections for every publication, as well as full texts of publications in the form of attached files (optional). For now, there are more than 58,000 scientific journals registered at ICI.
Geneva Foundation for Medical Education and Research The Geneva Foundation for Medical Education and Research (GFMER) is a non-profit organization established in 2002 and it works in close collaboration with the World Health Organization (WHO). The overall objectives of the Foundation are to promote and develop health education and research programs.
Scopus: CiteScore 0.5(2019) Scopus is Elsevier's abstract and citation database launched in 2004. Scopus covers nearly 36,377 titles (22,794 active titles and 13,583 Inactive titles) from approximately 11,678 publishers, of which 34,346 are peer-reviewed journals in top-level subject fields: life sciences, social sciences, physical sciences and health sciences.
Embase Embase (often styled EMBASE for Excerpta Medica dataBASE), produced by Elsevier, is a biomedical and pharmacological database of published literature designed to support information managers and pharmacovigilance in complying with the regulatory requirements of a licensed drug.