Nesiritide and clinically relevant outcomes in cardiac surgery: a meta-analysis of randomized studies
1,Department of Anesthesia and Intensive Care Università Vita-Salute San Raffaele
2,Interventional Cardiology Division of Cardiology University of Turin
DOI: 10.22514/SV62.102011.2 Vol.6,Issue 2,October 2011 pp.17-23
Published: 31 October 2011
B-type natriuretic peptide is a cardiac hormone that relaxes vascular smooth muscle and causes arterial dilatation. Nesiritide has been associated with increased urine output; reduced diuretic requirements; and suppression of aldosterone, endot-helin, and norepinephrine. We have independently conducted the first systematic review and meta-analysis of randomized trials to determine the impact of nesiritide on renal replacement therapy and death in patients undergoing cardiac surgery. We performed a meta-analysis of 6 randomized controlled studies including 560 patients (280 receiving nesiritide and 280 assigned to the control group). Two unblinded reviewers selected randomized trials studying nesiritide in patients undergoing cardiac surgery. Nesiritide doses ranged from 0.005 mcg/kg/min to 0.01 mcg/kg/min. Nesiritide did not reduce postoperative creatinine peak values: -0.16 [-0.42, 0.10], p for effect=0.23, p for heterogeneity<0.01, I2=90.5%) or the need for renal replacement therapy (1/177 in the nesiritide group vs 4/176 in the control group OR 0.39 [0.07, 2.06], p for effect=0.27, p for heterogeneity=0.70, I2=0%). We observed an interesting trend toward a reduction in mortality in the nesiritide group:13/280 (4.6%) vs 22/280 (7.8%) OR 0.57 [0.28, 1.15], p for effect=0.12, p for heterogeneity=0.43, I2=0%. Nesiritide did not reduce time of mechanical ventilation -8.77 hours [-21.42, 3.88], p=0.17, length of hospital stay -2.67 days [-6.50, 1.16], p=0.17 or intensive care unit (ICU) stay -0.94 days [-2.83, 0.95], p=0.33. In conclusion, further randomized controlled trials are needed to support the hypothesis that nesiritide improves clinically relevant outcomes in cardiac surgery.
Nesiritide, meta-analysis, cardiac surgery, renal replacement therapy, mortality
GIULIA MAJ,GIOVANNI LANDONI,GIUSEPPE BIONDI-ZOCCAI,ELENA BIGNAMI,LUCA CABRINI,LUCA BURATTI,MASSIMILIANO GRECO,MASSIMO ZAMBON,ALBERTO ZANGRILLO. Nesiritide and clinically relevant outcomes in cardiac surgery: a meta-analysis of randomized studies. Signa Vitae. 2011. 6(2);17-23.
1. Biancofiore G. Postoperative renal dysfunction. Have we emerged from the labyrinth? Minerva Anestesiol 2010;76:239-40.
2. Zarbock A, Singbartl K, Kellum JA. Evidence-based renal replacement therapy for acute kidney injury. Minerva Anestesiol 2009;75:135-9.
3. Bove T, Calabrò MG, Landoni G, Aletti G, Marino G, Crescenzi G, et al. The incidence and risk of acute renal failure after cardiac surgery. J Cardiothorac Vasc Anesth 2004;18:442-5.
4. Landoni G, Bove T, Crivellari M, Poli D, Fochi O, Marchetti C, et al. Acute renal failure after isolated CABG surgery: six years of experi-ence. Minerva Anestesiol 2007;73:559-65.
5. Chertow GM, Levy EM, Hemmermeister KE, Grove F, Daley J. Indipendent association between acute renal failure and mortality following surgery. Am J Med 1998;104:343-8.
6. Ranucci M, De Benedetti D, Bianchini C, Castelvecchio S, Ballotta A, Frigiola A, et al. Effects of fenoldopam infusion in complex cardiac surgical operations: A prospective, randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled study. Minerva Anestesiol 2010;76:249-59.
7. Karajala V, Mansour W, Kellum JA. Diuretics in acute kidney injury. Minerva Anestesiol 2009;75:251-7.
8. Landoni G, Mizzi A, Biondi-Zoccai G, Bignami E, Prati P, Ajello V, et al. Levosimendan reduces mortality in critically ill patients. A meta-analysis of randomized controlled studies. Minerva Anestesiol 2010;76:276-86.
9. Meco M, Cirri S. Effects of fenoldopam mesylate on central hemodynamics and renal flow in patients undergoing cardiac surgery: color Doppler echocardiographic. J Cardiothorac and Vasc Anesth 2010;24:58-62.
10. Bignami E, Landoni G, Biondi-Zoccai GG, Boroli F, Messina M, Dedola E, et al. Epidural analgesia improves outcome in cardiac surgery: a meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials. J Cardiothorac Vasc Anesth 2010;24:586-97.
11. Huffmyer JL, Mauermann WJ, Thiele RH, Ma JZ, Nemergut EC. Preoperative statin administration is associated with lower mortality and decreased need for postoperative hemodialysis in patients undergoing coronary artery bypass graft surgery. J Cardiothorac Vasc Anesth 2009;23:468-73.
12. Augoustides JG, Patel P. Recent advances in perioperative medicine: highlights from the literature for the cardiothoracic and vascular anesthesiologist. J Cardiothorac Vasc Anesth 2009;23:430-6.
13. Nozohoor S, Nilsson J, Lührs C, Roijer A, Algotsson L, Sjögren J. B-type natriuretic peptide as a predictor of postoperative heart failure after aortic valve replacement. J Cardiothorac Vasc Anesth 2009;23:161-5.
14. Crescenzi G, Landoni G, Bignami E, Belloni I, Biselli C, Rosica C, et al. N-terminal B-natriuretic Peptide after coronary artery bypass graft surgery. J Cardiothorac Vasc Anesth 2009;23:147-50.
15. Noveanu M, Hartwiger S, Mueller C. What anesthesiologists should know about B-type natriuretic peptide. Minerva Anestesiol 2009;75:698-702.
16. Nakao K, Ogawa Y, Suga S, Imura H. Molecular biology and biochemistry of the natriuretic peptide system II: natriuretic peptide receptors. J Hypertens 1992;10:1111-4.
17. Sackner-Bernstein JD, Kowalski M, Fox M, Aaronson K. Short-term risk of death after treatment with Nesiritide for decompensated heart failure. A pooled analysis of randomized controlled trials. JAMA 2005;293:1900-5.
18. Biondi-Zoccai GG, Agostoni P, Abbate A, Testa L, Burzotta T. A simple hint to improve Robinson and Dickersin’s highly sensitive PubMed search strategy for controlled clinical trials. Int J Epidemiol 2005;34:224-5.
19. Fleiss JL. The statistical basis of meta-analysis. Stat Methods Med Res 1993;2:121-45.
20. Higgins JP, Thompson SG, Deeks JJ, Altman DG. Measuring inconsistency in meta-analyses. BMJ 2003;327:557-60.
21. Higgins JPT, Green S. The Cochrane Handbook for Systematic Reviews of Interventions 4.2.5. Available at: http://www.cochrane.org/resources/handbook/hbook.htm (accessed 10 April 2007)
22. Mentzer RM Jr, Oz MC, Sladen RN, Graeve AH, Hebeler RF Jr, Luber JM Jr, et al. NAPA Investigators. Effects of perioperative nesiritide in patients with left ventricular dysfunction undergoing cardiac surgery: the NAPA Trial. J Am Coll Cardiol 2007;49:716-26.
23. Chen HH, Sundt TM, Cook DJ, Heublein DM, Burnett JC Jr. Low dose nesiritide and the preservation of renal function in patients with renal dysfunction undergoing cardiopulmonary-bypass surgery: a double-blind placebo-controlled pilot study. Circulation 2007;116:134-8.
24. Sezai A, Hata M, Wakui S, Shiono M, Negishi N, Kasamaki Y, et al. Efficacy of low-dose continuous infusion of alpha-human atrial natriuretic peptide (hANP) during cardiac surgery: possibility of postoperative left ventricular remodeling effect. Circ J 2006;70:1426-31.
25. Sezai A, Hata M, Wakui S, Niino T, Takayama T, Hirayama A, et al. Efficacy of continuous low-dose hANP administration in patients undergoing emergent coronary artery bypass grafting for acute coronary syndrome.Circ J 2007;71:1401-7.
26. Hayashida N, Chihara S, Kashikie H, Tayama E, Yokose S, Akasu K, et al. Effects of intraoperative administration of atrial natriuretic peptide. Ann Thorac Surg 2000;70:1319-26.
27. Brackbill ML, Stam MD, Schuller-Williams RV, Dhavle AA. Perioperative nesiritide versus milrinone in high-risk coronary artery bypass graft patients. Ann Pharmacother 2007;41:427-32.
28. Murray P. Brain natriuretic peptide therapy to prevent acute kidney injury after cardiac surgery. Am J Kidney Dis. 2008;51:5-9.
29. De Denus S, Pharand C, Williamson D. Brain natriuretic peptide in the management of heart failure: the versatile neurohormone. Chest 2004;125:652-68.
30. Publication Commettee for the VMAC investigators. Intravenous nesiritide vs. nitroglycerin for treatment of decompensated congestive heart failure: a randomized controlled trial. JAMA 2002;287:1531-40.
31. Zineh I, Schonfield RS, Johnson JA. The evolving role of nesiritide in advanced or decompensated heart failure. Pharmacotherapy 2003;23:1266-80.
32. Aronson D, Burger AJ. Intravenous nesiritide (human B-type natriuretic peptide) reduces plasma endothelin-1 levels in patients with dec-ompensated congestive heart failure. Am J Cardiol 2002;90:435-8.
33. Wang DJ, Dowling TC, Meadows D, Ayala T, Marshall J, Minshall S et al. Nesiritide does not improve renal function in patients with chronic heart failure and worsening serum creatinine. Circulation. 2004 Sep 21;110:1620-5.
Science Citation Index Expanded (SciSearch) Created as SCI in 1964, Science Citation Index Expanded now indexes over 9,200 of the world’s most impactful journals across 178 scientific disciplines. More than 53 million records and 1.18 billion cited references date back from 1900 to present.
Journal Citation Reports/Science Edition Journal Citation Reports/Science Edition aims to evaluate a journal’s value from multiple perspectives including the journal impact factor, descriptive data about a journal’s open access content as well as contributing authors, and provide readers a transparent and publisher-neutral data & statistics information about the journal.
Chemical Abstracts Service Source Index The CAS Source Index (CASSI) Search Tool is an online resource that can quickly identify or confirm journal titles and abbreviations for publications indexed by CAS since 1907, including serial and non-serial scientific and technical publications.
IndexCopernicus The Index Copernicus International (ICI) Journals database’s is an international indexation database of scientific journals. It covered international scientific journals which divided into general information, contents of individual issues, detailed bibliography (references) sections for every publication, as well as full texts of publications in the form of attached files (optional). For now, there are more than 58,000 scientific journals registered at ICI.
Geneva Foundation for Medical Education and Research The Geneva Foundation for Medical Education and Research (GFMER) is a non-profit organization established in 2002 and it works in close collaboration with the World Health Organization (WHO). The overall objectives of the Foundation are to promote and develop health education and research programs.
Scopus: CiteScore 0.5(2019) Scopus is Elsevier's abstract and citation database launched in 2004. Scopus covers nearly 36,377 titles (22,794 active titles and 13,583 Inactive titles) from approximately 11,678 publishers, of which 34,346 are peer-reviewed journals in top-level subject fields: life sciences, social sciences, physical sciences and health sciences.
Embase Embase (often styled EMBASE for Excerpta Medica dataBASE), produced by Elsevier, is a biomedical and pharmacological database of published literature designed to support information managers and pharmacovigilance in complying with the regulatory requirements of a licensed drug.